Plenty! is the working title of a small group discussion resource currently being developed as part of Green Christian’s Joy in Enough project.
It is based on the model of a small group gathered informally around a table under the guidance of a facilitator (perhaps in a coffee shop).
The aim is to look at the usually unexamined assumption that endless economic growth is essential to human flourishing; and to begin to imagine other ways of living together well.
Comprising five 90-minute sessions, each session is divided up into timed sections or rounds. Each round involves dealing out a set of cards and reflecting together on their contents:
- Topic card round – introduces the session topic with a provocative story or quotation
- Info card round – participants share some key snippets of information relating to the session topic
- Case study card round – examples of how some of the issues arising from the session topic are already being tackled
- Action card round – an opportunity for the group to make links between some of the ideas emerging from previous rounds, and to produce a list of possible actions
The cards have questions, stories, facts, case studies, or perhaps a single image or key graph – a diverse range of content that provokes thought and conversations.
While economic growth may seem a bit of an abstract topic to some people, the content is very rooted in everyday life. The consequences of consumerism and work/life balance are familiar to all of us, as reflected in the working titles for the five sessions:
- Can I have my life back?
- Why do we need all this stuff?
- What’s your best price?
- How much is enough?
- Where next?
The series is being developed at the moment, and sessions have been trialled in several different locations. We’ll keep you posted here for the latest news.