Each year we encourage churches in Britain to create a moment of confession around our complicity in consumerism, inequality and climate change. This year it is more relevant than ever, with the IPCC report warning once again of how urgent the climate crisis has become – something all churches need to hear and respond to.
Here is the Joy in Enough Confession in full – how will you use it this year?
More ideas for using it here. Feel free to adapt the confession for your own context, and let us know what you’re planning in the comments below.
The Joy in Enough Confession
Our climate is changing, and we are changing it. We confess our carbon footprints, our failure to consider the consequences of our actions, our slowness to react. We are sorry for all the times we knew the right thing to do, but chose convenience.
Your earth is exploited, and we are complicit in its exploitation. Species are lost, soil erodes, fish stocks decline, resources dwindle. We confess that many of us have taken too much, and not considered the needs of future generations.
We have become consumers. We have turned a blind eye to greed. We confess our hunger for more, and our failure to appreciate what we already have. We live in a time of unparalleled luxury, and we are sorry that we have not been more grateful.
The poor are left behind, even in this age of plenty. Human rights are pushed aside for profit. Wealth accumulates for the rich while the poorest still do not have what they need. We confess our apathy to injustice, and our haste in judging others.
This is not who you made us to be. We have not been good caretakers of your garden Earth. We have not loved our neighbours. Forgive us, creator God.
Forgive us. Renew us. Inspire us.
And in your strength, God, we declare:
- Enough climate change: help us to take responsibility. Give us the wisdom to live appropriately, the urgency to act, and the courage to make changes. Give us the voice to call for change from our leaders, and the perseverance to keep asking.
- Enough consumerism: give us what we need, God our provider. Then help us to find satisfaction and contentment. Help us to be grateful and generous.
- Enough inequality: nobody should be left behind. You care for the poor, and we want to follow your example. Make your church a living example of equity and inclusion, and a powerful advocate for justice and sharing.
We thank you for your kindness and your mercy. We look to your promise of restoration, and we move forward. Give us the strength to speak and to act – not out of guilt or duty, for we are forgiven and we are loved. Instead, we speak and act out of joy:
- joy in the living hope of knowing you
- joy in serving each other
- joy in the beauty and diversity of creation, your gift to us
- joy in your provision and your care – joy in enough
Download the confession in pdf or Word for use in your church.
3 Replies to “The Joy in Enough Confession”
Make it personal
Poor people……not The poor
Confessing the failings of others (we) has no impact on my actions as it avoids considering my sins and what I need to do differently
Thanks for the comments Andrew – please feel free to tweak it in any way you like for your audiences!